Tuesday, January 13, 2009

LACERATION


Here's a lesson for you. Don't change direction in the middle of a doorway—especially if the door is heavy and the latch plate is at elbow height. I was headed into the ladies' restroom at work when this happened. I don't normally make an abrupt u-turn at that point, but the floor was flooded, and I stepped right into the puddle. After managing a three-cornered tear in the elbow of my favorite dress and scraping a fair amount of skin from my forearm, I noticed that someone had put a sign on the door listing a trouble ticket number. The reason was not mentioned in the note. Before going back to my desk, I added "FLOOD" in large letters to the notice.

The fellow at the next desk wanted me to go to Medical. I refused. There's no way the company quack is getting his fingers on me for a minor scrape. Been there, done that, had the album signed. I've had to wait over half an hour to get blood and dirt cleaned out of scraped knees while they x-rayed my sprained foot. When I had my gall bladder attack, they called my husband to drive me to hospital. When I came back from my leave of absence after the last surgery, they assured me all the paperwork would be done without any more problems. They didn't mention that they had managed to terminate my employment while I was on leave of absence.

The word of the day for January 13, 2009 is "laceration" — Pronunciation: \ˌla-sə-ˈrā-shən\
Function: noun
Date: 1597
1 : the act of
lacerating. 2 : a torn and ragged wound.

Our quote for the day is from Mason Cooley (b. 1927), U.S. aphorist. City Aphorisms, Fourteenth Selection, New York (1994):

Most self-laceration is more noisy than painful.

;^{


-

5 comments:

  1. I've been there and done that too Jan when I have been trying to multi task then changed tack in the middle of my busy thoughts. Lol!
    Not funny really at the time as it hurts sooooo much!
    Fie! To those who sacked you for being ill. How could they!
    we are protected agains that here in Britain. Thank goodness!
    'Most self-laceration is more noisy than painful.' I agree..it's the cuss words that emit before you even know you were going to say them...lol!
    Hope your 'laceration' heals soon.
    Jeanie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you, that looks nasty Jan. Imagine sacking you for being off work sick...as Jeanie says that coudn't happen here thank goodness..
    Please take care and look after yourself.
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you have such an owie! I only wish I could say that I was more graceful than that, but of course I've had my share of lacerations due to changes of course.
    Look on the bright side. At least you are going to have some nice new (think young) skin there.
    Luv, luv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the medical world they call them "lacs" Is your tetanus up to date????? 10 years if no lacs, and if you are lacerated greater than 5 years it is best to do it...

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Claudia. I hit it with denatured alcohol first thing. When I got home it was hydrogen peroxide followed by aloe gel. It's bruising now, but otherwise fine. I have a wellness check next week, I'll ask for the tetanus boost then.

    8^O Jan the Gryphon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. ;^)